SFL v Dundee

DUNDEE 1 DUNFERMLINE 1 Date: 15/09/07

Fixture: Irn Bru SFL Division One

Attendance: 5173, Kick off 15.00

Referee: Steve Conroy

The Pars injury list grew with Scott Wilson out and Aaron Labonte retaining his place as Sol Bamba returned from international duty. Jim Hamilton, Darren Young and Paul Gallacher all returned┬ to the side that won at Broadwood ten days before, replacing Tam McManus, Stephen Simmons and Sean Murdoch.

Dunfermline kicked off attacking the goal in front of the home support at the Bobby Cox┬ Stand end. It was the Dee who had the first shot at goal after just over five minutes when Kevin McDonald`s pass found Jani Sturm but his shot from 20 yards was easily taken by Gallacher.

Dunfermline exerted pressure on the Dundee goal with Jim Hamilton controlling a pass on the edge of the box. The Dark Blues defence blocked that out and then the threat of Mark Burchill when Owen Morrison laced a ball in towards the six yard box. Darren Young had an effort beaten away and then Bobby Ryan had a hot that curled wide left.

It had been an encouraging start for the visitors and another good ball in from Stephen Glass in 11 minutes prompted the travelling support into song. There was plenty more to sing about when a fine move produced the first goal of the afternoon just three minutes later.

A Calum Woods cross midway up the Dundee left touchline was headed back on the left side of goal by Owen Morrison to Burchill and his first touch sent the ball square for Jim HAMILTON to turn the ball home from six yards. Having taken the lead the Pars dominated and Woods again almost created another goal in 18th minute playing a one two with Ryan before Dundee stole the ball away as Burchill got ready to shoot.

Just midway through the first half things took a turn for the worse however, when a fairly tame ball across from the right was struck by Kevin McDONALD and his shot from 25 yards took a cruel deflection off Aaron Labonte. Wrong footed, Gallacher could do nothing to stop the ball crossing his line.

On the half hour a free kick given against Young for a tackle on McDonald handed Dundee a opportunity but fortune favoured the Fifers as Gary McKenzie broke into the left side of the box only to see the yellow and orange checkered flag raised at the far side. Four minutes later a long ball from Dixon again sent a Dundee player in on the left side and Gallacher was hapy to see the cross from Gavin Swankie slip wide at the far post.

On 36 minutes Dundee failed to get in a shot as Sturm knocked down a header just seven yards out, the defenders slid in as Bob Davidson tried to convert the chance but fortunately the Athletic defence kept him out.

Alex Rae`s side finished the half the stronger with deliveries into the Pars box from Dixon and Swankie creating danger. A 42nd minute corner eased the pressure but Morrison`s effort was easily headed clear and when Glass`s return came back to Ryan he skied the shot and there was to be no further scoring.

Half Time: Dundee 1 Dunfermline 1

The early exchanges of the second half saw Dunfermline right in front of their own supporters attacking the Dundee goal. Glass`s free kick just failed to reach Bamba, Morrison`s cross was headed out and Glass`s square ball was cut out but there was plenty to jag the nerves of the home support who seemed to growing increasingly critical of Referee Steve Conroy.

The Pars came close in 57 minutes when Burchill touched the ball right to Ryan and his well struck shot skimmed the bar as it went over from 25 yards. Frustration crept in to both sets of supporters but there was some hope changing fortunes as the match entered its final quarter.

Dunfermline strung numerous passes together on the edge of the Dundee box with Morrison, Ryan, Hamilton and Glass all much involved. Dundee`s Scott Robertson meanwhile tried a long range shot that went wide left and then sub Derek Lyle scooped a shot from 18 yards way over the top.

Morrison provided Pars sub Tam McManus with a good chance but his header went wide right and a minute later the former Dundee man tested Samson with a drive from 25 yards.

It all looked to be going badly wrong for the Pars in 77 minutes when left back Paul Dixon was tumbled on the right edge of his penalty box by Woods. Referee Steve Conroy pointed to the spot but when Derek Lyle stepped up he hit the ball to the keeper`s right, Gallacher parried the ball and Woods was first to react booting the ball towards the left touchline.

With 88 minutes gone Morrison won a soft free kick on the left and although nothing came directly from it Dunfermline kept the pressure on the home defence but could not find a way through it.┬ Darren Young shot over the bar and McManus at the keeper.

In the first minute of added time former Par, Lyle could have sealed it as he lunged to convert McDonald`s cross from the right wing but Paul Gallacher was able to hold and a draw was to be the outcome.

DUNDEE: Craig Samson; David Worrell, Kevin McDonald, Gary MacKenzie, Paul Dixon; Freddie Daquin (Jan Zemlik 67), Milan Palenik, Scott Robertson, Gavin Swankie (Paul McHale 90); Jani Sturm (Derek Lyle 55), Bob Davidson.
SUBS: Michael White (GK), Danny Griffin.
SCORER: McDonald (23)
YELLOW CARD: Palenik (45)

DUNFERMLINE: Paul Gallacher; Calum Woods, Aaron Labonte, Souleymane Bamba, Stephen Glass; Bobby Ryan (Stephen Simmons 80), Darren Young, Stevie Crawford (c), Owen Morrison; Jim Hamilton, Mark Burchill (Tam McManus 72)
SUBS: Sean Murdoch (GK), Iain Williamson, John McCulloch
SCORER: Hamilton (14)
YELLOW CARD: Labonte (73)

REFEREE: Steve Conroy
WEATHER: Overcast 14┬║C

NEXT MATCH: (away) Challenge Cup v Airdrie, Tuesday 18th September 2007, kick off 7.45pm