Pre Season Tour v Lewis U23 Select

LEWIS U23 SELECT 0 DUNFERMLINE 10: Date: 10/07/03

Attendance: 450, Kick Off: 19:15
Referee: Billy McDonald (Stornoway)
Weather: Breezy but fine in first half, raining in second half

Last year it was New Zealand, this season it was the Outer Hebrides.

The Pars faced a U23 Select drawn from the 10 clubs in the Lewis and Harris Amateur League, following in the footsteps of Jim Leishman’s 1987 visit to Stornoway.

Dunfermline fielded a team mixed with experience and newcomers. Aaron Labonte, Anthony Storrie and Derek Young lined up alongside old faithfulls like Scott Y Thomson, and Andre Karnebeek. The Islanders select had never played together as a team and the Premier League test was going to be fierce.

The home team kicked off on a warm July evening which was interspersed with both sunshine and heavy showers. Right from the start the Pars were in total control. The first danger was created when Chris McGroarty advanced round the right side of the defence into the box and dispatched a ball which just evaded the advancing Storrie. It was alll Dunfermline and it was no surprise when in the fourth minute a fine cross from the right executed by George Fotheringham picked out the head of Neol Hunt who had risen way above the Select’s defence to head in the first goal.

Only three minutes went by before the lead was increased courtesy of a great 35 yard left-footed strike from Dutchman Andre Karnebeek. Play continued to be camped in the home half with only the interception of Donald Mackay and his pass down the left to Donald McDonald breaking up the total Pars dominance.

In the 13th minute Jason Dair was fouled on the edge of the box and he took the free kick himself to test the Islander’s keeper, David Black, who produced a fine save tipping the ball round the post for a corner on the right. The ball was not totally cleared from the corner and Gary Dempsey fed a good ball to Storrie who played Noel Hunt into play but the keeper gathered his dipping header.

Hunt tried a overhead effort from a Fotheringham cross but again the keeper came out on top. Hunt and Fotheringham were combining well down the right and were unlucky not to find more support in front of goal which might have further increased the Fifer’s tally. Young had a shot which bounced out of the keeper’s hands but the yellow and black shirted stopper recovered to retrieve the situation.

Black however had no answer to Derek YOUNG’S drive from the angle on the right side of the penalty box after Fotheringham’s cross had been headed out by Calum Moody. Three minutes later the keeper produced a fine save from a Young header following more good work from Messrs Fotheringham and Hunt. Noel was beginning to thoroughly enjoy the Hebridean experience; he managed to show off a few of his tricks that impressed the audience no end.

In the 26th minute another free kick was awarded on the edge of the box when Derek Young was fouled. Jason DAIR produced a right footed drive which landed in the bottom right hand corner of the net from the set piece to make it 4-0.

Gary Dempsey then succeeded in failing to walk the ball into an empty net when he did everything right up until the final moment. Jason Dair was causing plenty of grief to the right side of the Select’s defence and he succeeded in supplying Young with a quality ball that he dispatched just wide to the left. Hunt fed a ball into the path of Chris McGroarty, whose first time effort was tipped over the bar. Anthony Storrie had a 25yard effort which was deflected over the crossbar, but goal no.5 came in the 38th minute when the former Middlesboro received a short Dair corner and twisted his way into the penalty box to supply Andre KARNEBEEK with a simple strike into the net.