League Cup: DUNFERMLINE 0 CELTIC 1: 14/10/97


This Coca Cola semi final was a fairly flat affair with players slithering about on the wet playing surface. In reaching the Final Celtic must be happy to record this rare Ibrox victory.

Dunfermline had the best chance of the first half in the 43rd minute when Dave Bingham found himself with only the keeper to beat but slid the ball passed. Celtic had the better of the first half pressure playing towards the 2500 Pars fans in the Copeland Road Stand but the Dunfermline defence had full credit for a goalless scoresheet.

Dunfermline had more of the play in the second half but the real turning point came 10 minutes in when Marc Millar was awarded a weak yellow card. Marc had played well and was containing the Celtic threat down the right as well as producing fine interlinking play with Duarte and Bingham. Colin Miller came on immediately for the Pars sinner who tends to attract an unfair amount of attention from the officials. (They might have been influenced by the fourth match official Stuart Dougal who had sent Marc Millar off at Pittodrie).

Jackie MacNamara then started to run rings around our Canadian and having succeded in the 69th minute passed to Larsson who teed up an unstopable shot from Craig BURLEY.

Gerry Britton and then Ivo Den Bieman were thrown on in a galliant attempt to stay in the Cup. The tactic almost worked when every Pars fan leapt to their feet to see Jonathon Gould brilliantly save a Hamish French shot at the foot of his right hand post.

Beaten but not disgraced. Just as well there is no UEFA Cup qualification for the winners of this competition anymore.

DUNFERMLINE: Ian Westwater, Greg Shields, Marc Millar (Colin Miller 56), Andy Tod, Dave Barnett, Sergio Duarte (Ivo Den Bieman 81), Allan Moore, Harry Curran, Andy Smith, Hamish French, David Bingham (Gerry Britton 70).
Yellow Card: M Millar
Referee Willie Young
Attendance 27,796 (match shown live on Sky TV)
Next match v Rangers at Ibrox Premier League Saturday 18th October