Like the three previous encounters between these old adversaries this one finish drawn as well. Dunfermline were unable to hold on to their two goal half time lead and demonstrated why they have the worst defensive record in Scotland.

Andy Tod returned after serving a one match suspension, Ivo was relegated to the bench where he joined Stewart Petrie and Craig Faulconbridge.

Playing towards the Dens Park end in the first half Marc MILLAR showed some tricky skills before curling in a shot from the edge of the penalty box that deceived both Malpas and Dykstra and put the Pars one up against the run of play.

On 25 minutes Marc Millar again beat the right side of the United defence to cross into the heart of the United penalty box. Andy Smith touched it back for Gerry BRITTON to volley home.

Huxford and Britton again had fired in good efforts but it was not all Dunfermline, Westie had three great saves to keep the scoreline at two at the break.

Three minutes into the second half Kjell Oloffson pulled one back for the home side after a defence splitting pass from Jamie Dolan. The shot seem to go under Westwater as he dived across his goal in a vain attemppt to save.

The game was certainly on as far as United were concerned and after Gerry Britton failed to capitalise on a Seib Dykstra gift wide on the left the Pars were made to pay dearly on 70 minutes. A through ball was blasted out of play by Craig Robertson well inside the 18 yard line with no attempt being made to reduce the yardage. From the resultant throw in Robbie Winters flicked on into the path of Maurice Malpas who converted from inside the 6 yard box.

Bert Paton admitted in an interview to BBC Radio Scotland that his defence cannot defend and requires a lot more work on it.

The half time thoughts of three points and sixth place were blown.

DUNFERMLINE: (3-5-2) Ian Westwater: Greg Shields, Scott McCulloch, Andy Tod, Craig Ireland, Richard Huxford, Gerry Britton (Craig Faulconbridge 80 (Stewart Petrie 90)), Craig Robertson, Andy Smith, Hamish French, Marc Millar (Ivo Den Bieman 82)

Scorers: Millar (18), Britton (25)
Yellow Cards none for either side
Referee Martin Clark (Edinburgh)
Attendance 6500
League Position 9th

Next match v St Johnstone (away) Saturday 11th April