Ladbrokes Championship: Dunfermline 2 Dundee 0: 24/01/20

Friday night football returned to East End Park and as in August the opposition was Dundee. It was fifth v fourth with both teams eager for points to assist their challenge for a play off place.

After a run of five defeats in a row Dunfermline manager Stevie Crawford chose to go with 21 year old Cammy Gill in goal and with Lewis Martin absent through illness, Kyle Turner was brought in. Dundee manager James McPake also made two changes, Jamie Ness and Shaun Byrne being replaced by Ross Callachan and debuting 17 year old Lyall Cameron.

The visitors kicked off attacking the goal in front of the McCathie Stand but other than forcing an early corner neither Dundee nor Dunfermline managed anything to test the keepers in the opening twenty minutes.

After Dom Thomas was fouled midway into the Dundee half Turner sent over a 14th minute free kick that Callachan cleared although an offside flag had been raised. Turner slipped another free kick to Thomas seven minutes later but the Pars lost possession.

Ryan Dow was given the chance to deliver a corner from the left in the next minute but there appeared to be miscommunication and there was no one on the end of his long struck delivery.

The stalemate was broken in 28th minute when Danny Devine embarked on a run into the Dundee half. He played in Euan Murray to his left who slipped the ball on for Thomas. The on loan Kilmarnock player did really well to fend off the challenge of Cammy Kerr and his cross was met six yards out with a diving header from DOW. 1-0

The next good chance fell to Paul Paton after Thomas on the left fed Kevin Nisbet who in turn laid the ball off for the skipper to try a good powerful effort from 25 yards out that just cleared the bar.

There was no reason to worry however since five minutes from the break NISBET dispossessed young Cameron just inside the Dundee half, raced away and having cut inside from the left, smashed the ball into the far side of the net from the edge of the box. 2-0

The first half was to end having seen just one corner apiece and just three shots at goal, all from the Fifers. Despite have more of the possession Dundee had nothing to show for it.

Half time: Dunfermline 2 Dundee 0

The visitors made one change for the second half, Danny Johnston replacing Lyall Cameron but it was Dunfermline who were to test Dundee from the restart. Keeper Jack Hamilton had to punch away Dow’s 47th minute corner, then Nisbet hit the left upright from a Thomas free kick and next a Nisbet shot was deflected behind for a corner on the left.

When Nisbet could not get a shot away Paton tried a shot that was blocked on the edge of the Dundee box. Nothing was going their way so it was no surprise when Dundee introduced newly signed Oliver Crankshaw in place of Paul McGowan after just nine minutes of the second half.

On the hour Declan McDaid tried to force his way through the centre of the Pars defence but only managed to send the ball well wide. A Thomas corner on the right was defended and to halt the counterattack Gill had to come well out of his goal to clear the threat.

Sub Danny Johnson sent a shot over Gill’s bar before Ethan Ross came on for Gabby McGill and there was another excellent chance created by Nisbet who delivered an inviting ball into the six yard box that Comrie just failed to connect with. Two Dunfermline corners followed but Dundee defended them.

The match had really stirred though. The home fans were on song and there were near things for Dow and then Turner.

Crankshaw forced a 73rd minute corner off Turner but that changed nothing. The sub looked dangerous with two more runs. The first he crossed but too strongly for McDaid to control, the second went for a corner on the right and this time Callachan’s attempt was blocked.

From inside his own half Dow sprinted away with ball and when he laid the ball off across the Dundee box it looked like Nisbet had to score another but the shot was blocked and the ‘Dee survived. Next minute Johnson had an equally good chance but drove his shot wide right.

After that the Fifers saw the game out and could have been more comfortable had they converted an 89th minute chance. Thomas made the break down the left and teed up Nisbet but his shot was blocked and sub Joe Thomson drove the follow up wide right.

DUNFERMLINE: Cammy Gill: Aaron Comrie, Lee Ashcroft, Danny Devine, Euan Murray: Ryan Dow (Joe Thomson 88), Paul Paton (c), Kyle Turner, Dom Thomas: Gabby McGill (Ethan Ross 77), Kevin Nisbet.
SUBS NOT USED: Lewis McCann, Josh Edwards, Stuart Morrison, Matthew Todd, Ryan Scully (GK)
SCORERS: Dow (28), Nisbet (40)
YELLOW CARD: McGill (38), Paton (53)

DUNDEE: Jack Hamilton: Cammy Kerr, Jordan McGhee, Josh Meekings (c), Jordan Marshall: Ross Callachan, Lyall Cameron (Danny Johnson HT), Paul McGowan (Oliver Crankshaw 54), Declan McDaid: Graham Dorrans, Kane Hemmings.
SUBS NOT USED: Shaun Byrne, Jordan Forster, Finlay Robertson, Luke Strachan, Calum Ferie (GK).
YELLOW CARD: Callachan (47), Crankshaw (84)

REFEREE: David Munro
WEATHER: Cloudy 7C

NEXT MATCH: Ladbrokes Championship: (away) v Queen of the South, Saturday 1st February 2020, kick off 3.00pm at Palmerston Park

Related Stories