Betfred Cup: Dunfermline 4 East Kilbride 0: 27/07/19

East Kilbride’s first ever fixture against Dunfermline Athletic and after winning one, drawing one and losing one in Group H the victor in this Betfred Cup tie would top the Group.

Stevie Crawford made two changes from the starting eleven that lost out to Edinburgh City, Andy Ryan and Stuart Morrison dropping out to make way for Kyle Turner and Euan Murray.

The visitors made four changes to their starting eleven, Scott Stevenson, Bernard Coll, Ryan Weir and Ross Kavanagh left out, Ryan Sinnamon, Sean Winter, Anthony Brady and Paul Woods starting.

The Fifers were to go ahead in just the third minute when the EK keeper Alan Martin chipped the ball out to his centre back David Brownlie but Ryan Dow nipped in to immediately dispossess him, take the ball to the byeline and cut back for Kevin NISBET to finish from close in. 1-0

Four minutes later the first goalscorer turned provider cutting the ball back from the right byeline for Josh COLEY to hammer in his first senior goal from 15 yards out. 2-0

Dunfermline were in complete control and playing the ball around deep inside the EK half. Lewis Martin was able to push up and his initial shot from a Tom Beadling lay off was headed out towards the right where Dow returned. This time Martin’s shot was blocked by a defender diving in but the ball was only swept away to the top of the D where BEADLING launched an unstoppable 16th minute effort for 3-0.

Things could have got worse for the new town boys when from a Turner corner, an unmarked Paul Paton rattled the crossbar and then Nisbet sent a glancing header over the bar. In brief respite, the Lowland League side earned a 27th minute corner but Nisbet booted the ball clear.

Before the half hour mark Martin again found himself teasing Craig Reid to block his shot but he chose to lay the ball off to Turner in a better, more central position and the close season signing from Stranraer made Alan Martin drop to the ground to save.

A great pass from Nisbet sent Coley through on goal but with only one defender to beat he was forced left and not even a corner was won. But in 38 minutes Turner’s shot was deflected behind for a corner on the right, he delivered and Ashcroft tried a shot that Reid blocked and Ryan Dow’s follow up zoomed outside the left goalpost.

Next it was Coley who tested Martin with a powerful shot from 20 yards out and then it was Beadling with a 41st minute effort well over the top.

Half time: Dunfermline 3 East Kilbride 0

The second half got off to a slow start with both sides trying to hang on to possession. Martin made ground up the left to set up Coley for a pass across the EK box but there were no takers. Then in just the fifth minute of the half NISBET was able to brush aside the challenge of former Par Graeme Holmes to net clinically from 20 yards. 4-0

Two more Dunfermline corners quickly cane around with Martin driving a shot from the right side side that Winters blocked. The pressure was relentless, Coley almost got in for a second from a Dow but back and even Ashcroft got up the right being to deliver a cross that ended up in EK Martin’s hands.

Turner’s 59th minute corner from the right traveled to Nisbet on the far side of the box, his shot was on target and even with Dow trying to nudge it along the Lanarkshire side kept it out. The Pars got caught with a 62nd minute counter with Winter spreading the ball to Woods on the left side of the box but he hit his good chance high and wide.

The East Kilbride keeper made saves from Dow and then Paton before both teams committed a sub in 63 and 67 minutes with Andy Ryan and then Lewis McCann coming on for Kevin Nisbet and Ryan Dow. Ryan had an early chance blocked and then struck a free kick wide right from 30 yards out. Murray was forward to send a headed attempt wide right while at the other end EK sub Ross Kavanagh shot over from outside the Pars box.

It was 78 minutes before Pars keeper Ryan Scully was forced into his first save of the afternoon, dropping at the feet of striker Ruari Paton to take back possession. Three minutes from the end Ryan went on a great run doing well to stay on his feet after a challenge from Kavanagh but when he made the EK penalty box blasted his effort wide right.

A neat back heeler from Ryan sent Martin to the left baseline and although Allan got a touch on the cross not enough to get on target. It had been a comfortable win for the Championship side in a match that was over as a contest very early on.

The draw for the next round of the Betfred Cup is on Sunday afternoon after the Dundee v Inverness Caley Thistle match.

DUNFERMLINE: Ryan Scully: Aaron Comrie, Euan Murray, Lee Ashcroft, Lewis Martin: Paul Paton (c)(Paul Allan 74), Ryan Dow (Lewis McCann 67) Tom Beadling, Josh Coley: Kevin Nisbet (Andy Ryan 63), Kyle Turner.
SUBS NOT USED: Stuart Morrison, Matthew Todd, Josh Edwards, Cammy Gill (GK)
SCORERS: Nisbet (3, 50), Coley (7), Beadling (16)

EAST KILBRIDE: Alan Martin: Craig Reid (Scott Stevenson 73), Dean Cairns, David Brownlie, Ryan Sinnamon: Daniel Carmichael (Craig Malcolm 67): Anthony Brady, Graeme Holmes, Paul Woods: Ruari Paton, Sean Winter (Ross Kavanagh 63)
SUBS NOT USED: Ryan Weir, Ewan MacPherson, Matthew McGinley (GK)

REFEREE: David Lowe

NEXT MATCH: Ladbrokes Championship: (home) v Dundee Friday 2nd August 2019, kick off 7.05pm at East End Park

Related Stories