The fixed odds coupons had the Pars as 5-4 favourites to win this mid table battle. After the success at Pittodrie only 4 days into 97 there was a distinct belief that this was to become a double. The first half was a dour affair all but for the last three minutes with Sammy the Tammy in danger of being awarded the Man of the Match award.

Gerry Britton tested Michael Watt in the Dons goal within the first minute and Colin Miller`s effort on 10 minutes was turned over the bar by the keeper. But for the next half hour it was Aberdeen who had all the chances.

Westwater saved from Booth and then cut out a dangerous Stephen Glass cross. Darren Young had a shot on target which again Westie gathered. Then the hero almost turned villain when in the 34th minute he kicked straight out to Billy Dodds. With the defence scrambling back to deny Dodds and Kiriakov, Booth got a shot in but thankfully it went past the post. Dodds had another chance the next minute but again Westwater saved.

Dunfermline came storming back five minutes before half time with Stewart Petrie just failing to convert a Derek Fleming cross. Two minutes later Hamish French received a good pass to sent him up on the right. There was an audible groan from the stand as French seemed to delay and lose the opportunity to break. Then suddenly the French turbo propelled him up the wing to cut back from the bye line for STEWART PETRIE to slot past the keeper.

On the stroke of half time with the ball bouncing about the Aberdeen box Curran and Tod rifled the ball towards the Aberdeen goal and GERRY BRITTON deflected a header to make it 2-0.

Serves all these supporters right who go off for their Bovrils before the half time whistle!
The first chance of the second half went to Aberdeen with Billy Dodds heading wide and then having a shot saved by Westie.

Stewart Petrie was revelling in the confrontation with Aberdeen. he seem to rip their defence apart with relative ease. However, Petrie complained too much over an incident in which Antoine Kombouare should have seen yellow for his tackle. The defender only escaped the card for another 8 minutes though. Derek Fleming headed on to the bar from Petrie`s cross and then Petrie set up Gerry Britton who failed to increase his tally for the day.

Rowson had a typical long distance shot well saved by Westwater in 73 minutes before Craig Robertson failed to get a good connection to a chance in the Aberdeen six yard box. ANDY SMITH came on for an exhausted Gerry Britton and at the end completed the demolition of Aberdeen with a well placed shot just inside Watt`s right hand post.

How long can Big Roy keep hold of the manager`s job at Pittodrie? One win in their last 14 League and Cup outings and if Dunfermline win their game in hand (v Hibs), they will overtake Aberdeen into 5th position. With Jimmy Nicholl now available the knives will be out.

DUNFERMLINE: Westwater, C Miller, Fleming, Tod, Welsh, Curran, French (Den Bieman 89), Robertson, Britton (Smith 77), M Millar, Petrie (Bingham 86)
Referee M Clark (Edinburgh)
SCORERS: Petrie (42), Britton (45), Smith (90).
YELLOW CARD: Petrie (50)

Next Match v Dundee United (League) Away, Saturday 1st March

Sammy says thanks very much for visiting our web site where we have lots of news for young Pars fans.