Scottish Cup: ELGIN CITY 3 DUNFERMLINE 5: Date 02/11/13

Dunfermline faced Elgin City for only the second competitive game between the sides. It was the William Hill Scottish Cup that had paired the teams together and as well as the first visit to Borough Briggs there was the added bite in that it pitched Elgin manager Ross Jack up against one of his former teams.

The visitors went with the same starting eleven as had success at Stranraer last time out.  Jordan Moore recovered to claim a place on the bench. Sean Crighton, Brian Cameron and Paul Harkins dropped out of the Elgin team that had faced Annan Athletic the previous week meaning starting places for Ceiran McLean. Mark Nicholson and Graeme Beveridge.

Elgin kicked off attacking the goal at the west end and Ryan Scully was taking a goal kick within 12 seconds. The Pars forced the first corner of the game in fifth minute but when the ball was flashed across the six yard box none of the inrushing players could connect. Josh Falkingham returned the ball but the home defence cleared.

Shaun Byrne and Ryan Wallace kept up the pressure winning a throw in down near the right corner flag but Millen's throw in to Byrne was then belted clear. Alex Whittle had a strong run into the Elgin box but could not keep enough control of the ball to get in a shot.

On twelve minutes Andy Geggan launched a shot from 30 yards that was just too high but Dunfermline had started well with Elgin restricted to a couple of crosses that failed yo trouble Scully. But in 15th minute Kerr Young was yellow carded for a robust tackle on his man 35 yards out and City scored from the resulting free kick. It was Jamie DUFF who rose on the right side of the penalty area to send a looping header over Scully. 1-0

The Elgin lead was to last only three minutes. A cross from the left travelled right over for Millen to collect on the right and his cut back was netted by Ryan WALLACE. 1-1

The cup tie boiled up just beyond the midpoint of ther first half. Falkingham was yellow carded after an Elgin tackle took him down. The referee felt that the Pars captain went down too easily but Jim Jefferies was raging at referee Barry Cook and his discussion with the match official duly earned him a ticket in the stand.

From his seat just adjacent to the dug out the Dunfermline Manager was nicely placed however to watch WALLACE drill a 28th minute shot through keeper Ray Jellema from the edge of the box. 1-2

Stephen Husband rattled a 25 yard free kick into the Elgin wall and the Fifers continued to control the game. Byrne showed some good close skills on the edge of the box but could only lay the ball off for Falkingham who forced the corner. The Dunfermline corner was held by Jellema and the home side then pressed for an equaliser.

An Elgin corner sent in from the left caused a scramble that the defence dealt with but it was then back to the other end.

Thomson and Falkingham narrowly failed to get a touch as Millen thrashed the ball through the Elgin six yard box in 44 minutes and then Falkingham had a ball into a dangerous area cut out by a defender.

Half Time: Elgin City 1 Dunfermline 2

Paul Harkins replaced Ceiran McLean at the restart and within the first ten minutes both teams had been forced to used one more sub each. Sam Urquhart had to come on for Craig Gunn and then Jordan Moore had to comer on for Ryan Thomson. The game suffered from the stoppages and as the rain pelted down Elgin had a better spell.

Shane Sutherland skied a shot but it was Pars sub Moore who was to significantly alter the scoreline. Duff mistimed his tackle on the on loan Dundee United striker and from the 63rd minute spot kick MOORE made no mistake finding the net to the keepers right. 1-3

The next minute a defensive mistake with a back pass that was launched skywards allowed MOORE to step in and net a cheeky goal, 1-4

Scully held a neat Urquhart deflection towards goal while at the other end the Elgin keeper did well to stop a rocket of a shot from Falkingham.

A fifth Fifers goal followed when Byrne made all the ground on the right but overhit his cross. The ball was recovered and cut back for WHITTLE on the edge of the box. The ball was netbound from the moment it left his foot and the ball nestled in the top right corner. 1-5

Moore hit the right upright and Jellama held a powerful shot from Geggan. It seemed that Dunfermline were coasting into the next round but the final ten minutes were filled with excitement as goals from WYNESS and KHUTSISHVILI gave the home fans renewed hope.

The second Elgin goal was a well taken goal but the third was gifted after a poor clearance set up a cross from the left that was met by Khutsishvili at the far post with a powerful header that gave the keeper no chance.  

It was a spirited comeback from the League 2 club but fortunately for Dunfermline their comeback came too late in the match.  Ross Jack wished Dunfermline well in the next round when the Premiership clubs will be in the draw.   

ELGIN CITY: Ray Jellema, Ceiran McLean (Paul Harkins HT), Jamie Duff, Graeme Beveridge, Paul McMullen, Mark Nicholson (Dachi Khutsishvili 72), David Niven (c), Ally McKenzie, Shane Sutherland, Dennis Wyness, Craig Gunn (Sam Urquhart 54).
SUBS NOT USED: Adam MacLeod, Darryl McHardy, Ross McKinnon, Stuart Black (GK),
SCORERS: Duff (16), Wyness (82), Khutsishvili (84)
YELLOW CARDS: Duff (23), Sutherland (90)

DUNFERMLINE: Ryan Scully, Ross Millen, Alex Whittle, Kerr Young, Callum Morris, Andy Geggan, Shaun Byrne, Stephen Husband (Ryan Ferguson 61), Ryan Wallace (Allan Smith 77), Josh Falkingham, Ryan Thomson (Jordan Moore 55).
SUBS NOT USED: Lewis Martin, Craig Dargo, Robert Thomson, Ryan Goodfellow
SCORERS: Wallace (19, 28), Moore (63 pen, 64), Whittle (73)
YELLOW CARDS: Young (15), Falkingham (23), Geggan (39), Morris (65), Byrne (91)

REFEREE: Barry Cook
WEATHER: Overcast 5C

NEXT MATCH: (away) SPFL League One v Rangers
Wednesday 6th November 2013, kick off 7.45pm

Sammy says thanks very much for visiting our web site where we have lots of news for young Pars fans.