SFL Div One: COWDENBEATH 4 DUNFERMLINE 2 : Date: 12/02/13

Ross Millen for Stephen Jordan was the only change for Dunfermline's return to Central Park.  The home side were unchanged from the eleven that dumped Falkirk 4-1 on Saturday.

This re-arranged fixture was held in direct competition to Celtic's Champions League game against Juventus on live television. Apart from the well lit playing surface it was hard to tell who else had turned up but the Pars were welcomed out to much vocal support apparently emanating from behind the goal at the west end of the park.

The visitors kicked off through Ryan Wallace and Josh Falkingham attacking the goal at the town end. The first chance fell to Shaun Byrne in the third minute. Wallace had been sent down the right, he checked and cut back from the byeline but the 19 year old midfielder's effort from 15 yards was blocked.

Cowden won the first corner of the night three minutes later but the Pars defended that successfully and Falkingham swept the ball back upfield. The home side countered however and forced Andy Dowie into conceding another corner on the left and from that Jon Robertson was extremely unlucky to see his glancing header at the near post sail narrowly over Paul Gallacher's crossbar.

The Pars tried to get their passing game together but they were hampered by misplacements. McMillan and Falkingham were chopped down before in 16 minutes a Wallace touch yielded a chance for Andy Kirk but his header dropped over the bar. Then at the other end a low Jamie Stevenson free kick was deflected behind with good fortune since the touch off Kirk had completely wrong footed Gallacher.

A 25th minute free kick where Armstrong was the target was successfully dealt with before Byrne needed the attentions of physio Kenny Murray.  Byrne failed to recover and indeed was stretchered off, so Ryan Thomson was a 28th minute replacement for him.

Joe Cardle then caused great concern for the Cowden support with an inswinging shot from wide left that keeper Thomas Flynn fisted clear. But the goal was to come at the other end in 33 minutes.  Dean Brett was free on the right to deliver a fine cross to the far post.  The ball was defended only as far as the edge of the box leaving it sitting up sweetly for Lewis MILNE to drive low past Gallacher at the left post. 1-0.

The Blue Brazil almost doubled their advantage minutes later when Stevenson teed up Robertson but Gallacher pulled off a great save. The Pars then had some desperate defending to do as Cowdenbeath grew in belief.

In contrast Dunfermline seemed to become more and more frustrated, mirroring the sentiments of the vocal travelling support. Two minutes of added time at the end of the half changed nothing but on the referee's whistle Chris Kane and Lewis Coult clashed resulting in them both being shown yellow cards.

So after going five games without scoring against the Pars, Cowden were ahead at the interval and probably deservedly so.

Half Time: Cowdenbeath 1 Dunfermline 0

When play resumed Cowdenbeath continued to make the visiting defence look frail. Coult failed to connect with a good squared ball. Nothing was going Dunfermline's way and the match officials ears got well and truly warmed up by the Athletic  fans who were seeing things that they clearly did not.

A 58th minute free kick was nervously sent behind for a corner and when that came in from the left Thomas O'Brien forced Gallacher into another fine save.  In an attempt to change things Jim Jefferies introduced Craig Dargo for Joe Cardle in 59 minutes and then was forced into another four minutes later when Kane was injured and Alex Whittle came on for him.

A challenge on McMillan earned the Pars a free kick on the edge of the box on the far left with Stevenson injuring himself in the process. Wallace whipped the ball over and DOWIE got a fine touch to send the ball into the bottom right of the home net. 1-1

The equaliser came in 69 minutes and within three more Dargo made ground on the right side of the box to pick out KIRK and the Pars were ahead. 2-1

The lead lasted all of four minutes until Scott LINTON fired home an equaliser from a free kick that Dowie had conceded 28 yards out. The rollercoaster of a second half continued with a low driven goal from Kane HEMMINGS in 82 minutes and the home side were back in the lead heading for their first league win over Dunfermline at home since 1977.

With Dunfermline needing the next goal it was Cowden who again found the net with LINTON seeming to have lots of time on the top of the box to pick his spot and give Gallacher little chance. 4-2 with two minutes remaining.

There was no way back for Jim Jefferies troops and the home fans could celebrate a famous double over both Falkirk and Dunfermline in the space of four days.  For many loyal Cowdenbeath supporters they enjoyed the first home victory over Dunfermline for more than 35 years.

COWDENBEATH: Thomas Flynn; Dean Brett, John Armstrong (c), Thomas O'Brien, Kenny Adamson; Scott Linton, Jamie Stevenson (Kyle Miller 77), Jon Robertson, Lewis Milne, Kane Hemmings, Lewis Coult (Greg Stewart 61).
SUBS NOT USED: Joe Mbu, Marc McKenzie, Craig Wight (GK).
SCORERS: Milne (33), Linton (76, 88), Hemmings (82)
YELLOW CARD: Coult (45+2), Adamson (91)

DUNFERMLINE: Paul Gallacher; Ross Millen, Andy Dowie, Callum Morris, Jordan McMillan (c); Shaun Byrne (Ryan Thomson 28), Chris Kane (Alex Whittle 63), Joe Cardle (Craig Dargo 59); Josh Falkingham; Andy Kirk, Ryan Wallace.
SUBS NOT USED:  John Potter, Michal Hrivnak (GK)
YELLOW CARD: Kane (45+2).
SCORERS: Dowie (69), Kirk (72)

REFEREE: David Somers

NEXT MATCH (away) Scottish First Division v Falkirk
Saturday 16th February 2013, Kick Off 3.00pm

Sammy says thanks very much for visiting our web site where we have lots of news for young Pars fans.