Scottish Cup: DUNFERMLINE 0 HAMILTON 2: Date 02/02/13

After heavy overnight frost the pitch required to pass a high noon inspection by referee John Beaton and his assistant. In the absence of both Stephen Jordan and Andy Geggan through injury, Jim Jefferies handed a first team debut to 18 year old Ross Millen. Andy Barrowman was suspended following his late sending off at Firhill in the previous round. Ryan Thomson and John Potter dropped out of the eleven that started against Livingston with Stephen Husband and Callum Morris returning.

For Hamilton Accies, Connor McGlinchey had been released, Michael Devlin and Grant Gillespie found themselves on the bench and Stephen Hendrie, captain Alex Neil and Darian McKinnon came in.

Josh Falkingham and Ryan Wallace got the game underway attacking the goal at the Cowdenbeath end. Paul Gallacher was involved with a couple of back passes and Hamilton keeper Kevin Cuthbert held a Wallace cross but the opening seven minutes were fairly tame. Then a Wallace run down the right enabled a cut back but the Hamilton defence blocked Joe Cardle's attempt on 18 yard line.

The home side enjoyed bucket fulls of possession but Hamilton made it very difficult to penetrate their extensive defence. A 19th minute corner was sent over from the right by Millen but Andy Dowie's header dropped wide of the right post. Cardle then provided Wallace with a chance to shoot but Cuthbert was out sharpish to smother the shot.

There was a real let off for Dunfermline in 25 minutes when Gallacher slipped up in the box when dealing with a pass back. He passed the ball straight to Stevie May. He carried the ball into the right side before passing square for Jon Routledge but with Gallacher beaten, his shot was intercepted on its way towards the net by Morris.

Hamilton kept trying and a cross in from the left was knocked into the path of May by MacKinnon but fortunately the ball ended up running out for a goal kick. In 33 minutes another Millen corner picked out Husband in the centre of the Hamilton box but his header was directed wide left.

May had a shot deflected behind for Hamilton corner in 37 minutes but Byrne cut out the low delivery. Dunfermline countered and won themselves another corner but this time Dowie couldn't get enough on Millen's cross and his free header fell wide left. Loud appeals then for a corner when Wallace's cut back hit the hand of Jonathon Page as he slid in to block the cross.

All square at the break - Hamilton had missed the best chance of the first half and could have done better at Gallacher's slip up but the Pars had more pressure and might have been ahead.

Half Time: Dunfermline 0 Hamilton Accies 0

Fifty seconds into the second half there was another amazing let off for the home side. Hendrie burst down the left and teed up May in front of goal but incredibly his swish failed to connect. Then in 51 minutes Accies took the goal that they had threatened. A throw in on the left midway inside the Pars half was fed to Stevie MAY and his shot from 25 yards flew in off the underside of the crossbar.

Alex Whittle replaced Shaun Byrne just ten minutes into the half and next Andy Kirk was physically restrained by Page as he tried to advance on goal. Loud appeals but no whistle. Then in 61 minutes Hamilton doubled their advantage. The ball was switched around the Pars box until eventually Jon ROUTLEDGE was perfectly placed on the edge of the box to rifle the ball past Gallacher. 0-2

Gallacher made as good save from a powerful MacKinnon effort four minutes later having been set up by May. Ryan Thomson came on for Millen in 69 minutes as Dunfermline went with three at the back and there was nearly an immediate return but Kirk hit the post and Ziggy Gordon cleared. Then Kirk couldn't take the chance after Husband's long range shot was parried by Cuthbert.

Dunfermline were exposed at times at the back and were not getting any fruits from their labour upfront. An 80th minute corner was defended out only as far as Whittle but his shot was then blocked. Craig Dargo was the final throw of the dice, replacing Ryan Wallace eight minutes from the end. Cardle forced a corner, Morris' header was deflected behind and from the second corner May took the ball away.

Dargo turned on the style to create an opportunity on the left side but his shot was blocked as well. The visitors continued to keep it tight, Cuthbert rose to claim a high ball in from the right and Dunfermline found it hard to get into decent finishing positions. A 90th minute corner changed nothing as everyone got forward and Hiusband drove his attempt into a posse of defenders.

No lucrative Quarter Final then for the Fifers who are left to concentrate on the First Division where Livingston closed the gap on them with a win at Dumbarton.

DUNFERMLINE:Paul Gallacher; Ross Millen,(Ryan Thomson 69) Andy Dowie, Callum Morris, Jordan McMillan (c); Josh Falkingham, Stephen Husband, Shaun Byrne (Alex Whittle 55), Joe Cardle; Andy Kirk, Ryan Wallace (Craig Dargo 82).
SUBS NOT USED: John Potter, Michal Hrivnak (GK).
YELLOW CARD: Thomson (78)

HAMILTON ACCIES: Kevin Cuthbert; Ziggy Gordon, Martin Canning, Jonathon Page, Stephen Hendrie; Alex Neil (c); Jonathon Routledge, Darian MacKinnon, Louis Longridge, Ali Crawford; Stevie May (Andy Ryan 88).
SUBS NOT USED: Scott Christie (GK), Grant Gillespie, Michael Devlin, Gary Fisher,
SCORERS: May (51), Routledge (61)

REFEREE: John Beaton

50/50 half time draw at this match was No. 28949. The prize amount - £670.00. The second prize of a DAFC £20.00 gift voucher is ticket No. 28044

NEXT MATCH: (away) Scottish First Division v Hamilton Accies
Saturday 9th February 2013, Kick off 3.00pm

Sammy says thanks very much for visiting our web site where we have lots of news for young Pars fans.