SPL v Hearts


Attendance: 5694, Kick Off: 3.00pm.

Referee: Stevie O`Reilly

Manager Jim McIntytre made four changes from the side that faced Aberdeen 15 days before.  Out went Jason Thomson because of his on loan deal from Hearts, Alex Keddie, Craig Easton and Andy Barrowman.  In their places were Paddy Boyle making his SPL debut, Ryan Thomson, Andy Kirk and Joe Cardle.  Boyle and Burns were to be deployed wide with Dowie, Potter and McCann forming a back three. Hearts made just one change from the side that defeated Celtic last time out, Marian Kello coming in for Jamie MacDonald.

After a delay to allow three o`clock to arrive Ryan Thomson and Andy Kirk got the match underway attacking the goal in front of the travelling support and on two minutes Joe Cardle created the first danger from a free kick won by Thomson. Cardle`s delivery flashed across the six yard box with Kirk nearest but unable to convert.

Paul Gallacher dealt with the early Hearts attempts; one from Jamie Hamill from the right touchline and then from David Templeton when he got round Paul Burns on the right but again the ball went straight into the hands of the Pars keeper.  Hearts were able to take a grip of possession and patiently tried their best to find a way through the Pars defence. Burns made a telling interception to steal the ball away from Templeton.

In 13 minutes Templeton again made the danger and his shot after beating away the challenges from two Pars defenders was turned behind by John Potter for the first corner of the afternoon.  Gallacher plucked the cross out of the air and no threat materialised.

A Dowie pass was flicked on first time by Boyle and Cardle looked like darting through the middle but Ian Black caught Cardle as he tried to pick out Kirk. The 18th minute free kick gave the Pars a chance from 30 yards out but Kirk lifted the effort well over Kello`s bar. Hearts switched play forward but the Fifers defence held out.

Hearts were forced to make the first substitution of the match in 22 minutes when Ian Black was unable to continue and Mehdi Taouil came n as Dunfermline won their first corner of the game but his delivery swung out of play as it was crossed. the Hearts sub almost made an immediate impact sending a good ball in the direction of Templeton but Potter came in front of him to head clear.

On 32 minutes Taoiul picked out Templeton on the left and there was mayhem in the Pars box as the defence cleared the loose ball. All the chances were coming through Templeton and the home side with Kirk ploughing a solo role up front did not get near enough to bother Kello.

A good move did earn the Pars a37th minute corner but Dowie was penalised rather harshly for pushing Zaliukas. Thomson pressurised Zaliukas into conceding a throw in up on the left but that and a Cardle cross produced nothing.

Five minutes from the break Rudi Skacel latched on to a ball from Andy Webster and forced Gallacher to make the first real save of the day, turning the ball around his post for a corner on the right.  Grainger sent a low ball over, Kirk sliced his clearance and WEBSTER got in front of John Potter to head home the opener home in 41st minute.

Hearts certainly had a lot of first half pressure but with the exception of the goal rarely threatened Gallacher`s goal. At the other end Kello had a quiet return.

Half Time: Dunfermline 0 Hearts 1

The opening minute of the second half saw Dunfermline start with more determination with Boyle, Cardle and Graham making positive moves in the Hearts half. Thomson`s cross from the left byeline was held by Kello and at the other end Gallacher had to do well to hold Templeton`s cross before the ball could reach Ryan Stevenson.

There was a glimmer of hope for the Pars when Graham fed Burns but his cross failed to reach Kirk. In 56 minutes Stevenson looked offside as he chested down a through ball and then the Hearts man won a free kick on the right edge of the Pars box. A decision that was hotly disputed by Potter.  Anyhow when Hamill tapped the ball back to Grainger the former Gretna player smashed the ball out beyond the far post.

On 59 minutes a surging run by Grainger fed Templeton near the corner flag but his cross was headed into Gallacher`s arms by Stevenson. A counter attack by Burns and Graham raised the cheers from the home support.  In 62 minutes Jim McIntyre changed things with Liam Buchanan replacing Joe Cardle. With two men up front  the Pars hoped to be more of a test for the Jambos.

Davie Graham was shown yellow as he stopped Skacel and then it was his yellow boots that sent Boyle to the left byeline and Kello was forced to turn the ball over his bar. Graham corner did not create any danger but he quickly had possession again as McCann spread the ball out to him. He ducked and dived to get around the defence but Kello beat away his effort. Next Burns had a go but his shot from the right was not on target.

There was a let off in 74 minutes when Skacel picked out Templeton on the left side of the penalty box but the Hearts man was wild with his shot.  A wayward pass across the field from Boyle for Thomson sent Templeton in on goal and his shot was saved by Gallacher but SKACEL was on hand to turn the ball into an empty net to make it 2-0 with 14 minutes remaining.

Paul Willis and Pat Clarke were introduced before play restarted as Kirk and Thomson came off. Adrian Mrowiec required treatment as he got the brunt of a Potter clearance. Unfortunately the result was already well decided and the capital side were to record their first away win since February.  Dunfermline have now gone nine league matches against the Jambos without a win.

DUNFERMLINE: Paul Gallacher, Andy Dowie, John Potter, Austin McCann (c); Paul Burns, David Graham, Ryan Thomson (Paul Willis 77), Gary Mason, Paddy Boyle, Joe Cardle (Liam Buchanan 62); Andy Kirk (Pat Clarke 77)..
SUBS NOT USED: Chris Smith (GK), Kerr Young, Steven McDougall, Craig Easton.
YELLOW CARD: Burns (45), Graham (68), McCann (87)

HEARTS: Marian Kello; Jamie Hamill, Andy Webster, Marius Zaliukas (c), Danny Grainger, Ryan Stevenson (John Sutton.87), Rudi Skacel (David Obua 83), Ian Black (Mendi Taouil 22), Eggert Jonsson, David Templeton, Adrian Mrowiec
SUBS NOT USED: Jamie MacDonald, Arvydas Novokovas, Scott Robinson, Gordon Smith,
SCORER: Webster (41), Skacel (76)
YELLOW CARD: Webster (69)

WEATHER:  Dull 14C

NEXT MATCH: (away) SPL v Inverness Caley Thistle
Saturday 22nd October 2011, kick off 3.00pm

Sammy says thanks very much for visiting our web site where we have lots of news for young Pars fans.