SFL v Queen of the South


Fixture: Irn Bru SFL Division

Attendance: 2163, Kick Off: 3.00pm.

Referee: Steven Nicholls

The fixture against Queen of the South originally planned for 30th January eventually got played at the third time of asking.  From the side that drew at Airdrie on Tuesday night the Pars were without the injured pair Andy Kirk and Joe Cardle.  Alex Burke, Willie Gibson, Graeme Holmes and Steven McDougall came in with Gary Mason and Nick Phinn found themselves on the bench.

For the visitors Willie McLaren, David Lilley and Rocco Quinn came into the starting eleven in preference to Jordan McMillan, Marvin Andrews and David Weatherston.

Queen of the South kicked off towards the McCathie Stand end but in the opening minutes they were troubled by David Graham.  The Pars striker had a shot charged down and then produced a fine cross that earned Dunfermline the first corner of the game.  When Willie Gibson sent that over from the right in 10th minute Andy Dowie was unlucky to see his powerful header clear the bar.

Two minutes later Calum Woods worked himself into a shooting opportunity but his low drive from 20 yards was well held by David Hutton.  In 17 minutes Gibson won a free kick 28 yards out when Paul Burns brushed him off the ball but when he fired from the setpiece he hit the four man wall and Alex Burke`s effort from the rebound was woefully wide.

Better however in 18 minutes when a Woods ball sent Steven McDOUGALL through on Hutton and he kept his nerve with a cool finish from 15 yards  Neither side troubled the keepers for the next 15 minutes until Fleming had to hold a Kean cross after a speedy break up the right through McKenna and Burns.

A Woods cross in 39 minutes looked destined for Gibson, rushing in on the left side of the box but McKenna rose to head the ball down to Hutton. QOS`s best chance of the game so far came in 41 minutes when Graeme Holmes understruck pass released Burns. Quinn then passed right for Holmes and the goal looked vulnerable but the former Hearts striker shot over the bar from the edge of the box.

Gibson produced a moment of magic just two minutes from the interval.  From 40 yards out on the left side the winger swung over an inviting ball that WOODS sprung on to turn in from five yards out.  A really well taken goal that secured the Pars a two goal advantage at half time.

Half Time: Dunfermline 2 Queen of the South 0

Gordon Chisholm made a double substitution for the restart and initially they looked like responding to their manager`s half time words.  After sustaining a groin strain Gibson was subbed by Ross Campbell with just five minutes played and in 54 Burke swept a 22 yard free kick across the face of goal and out on the right without anyone getting a touch.

There was more promise for the Pars two minutes later when McDougall sent Graham free down the left.  His cross was sent skywards by McKenna on six yards and then Scally muscled Graham off the ball to clear. Harris required attention after diving into the ball as Graeme Holmes cleared a QOS corner.

In 65 minutes there was a let off as Burke`s clearance broke off Burns into the path of Leon Knight in front of goal and Greg Fleming did really well to turn the ball around his right hand post for a corner. The Doonhamers turned up the pressure but the defence held out assisted by the wild shooting of Joe Hammill.

As the match entered its final quarter the visitors continued to pin the Pars back into their own half with Burns popping up on the left to threaten alongside Weatherston.  But in 69 minutes it was a Burns delivery from the right byeline that was met by WEATHERSTON on six yards to reduce the lead to just one.

Knight`s 72nd minute effort was deflected over the crossbar and after Gary Mason replaced Alex Burke the defence dealt with the corner from the right. Dowie dived in bravely to head the ball away from Knight in front of goal after Burns had cut back a strong Weatherston cross from the other side of goal.

In 75 a fine individual run by Graham was punctuated by a good strike from the top of the box but Hutton held on to the shot although it almost squirmed under him.  Nick Phinn came on for Graeme Holmes to take on the role on the right side of midfield.  Immediately Steven McDougall required the physio`s treatment but fortunately with all the subs used he was able to continue.

It might have been 3-1 in 83 minutes as Hutton turned a fine Campbell effort on to his left hand post.  The Pars striker was through two minutes later and was brought down by McKenna.  Campbell sprung back up but Referee Steven Nicholls pointed to the spot and flashed a yellow card at the defender.  Steven BELL stepped up and executed with prowess sending the ball into the roof of the net on the right side.

Woods was red carded for his challenge on Weatherston to make Jim McIntyre`s selection for Tuesday night`s local derby even tighter. McKenna received a second yellow in the first minute of added time to even up the numbers.  In the end it was a comfortable victory as Dunfermline bossed the game for most of the 90 minutes and deserved their second home win in succession.

DUNFERMLINE: Greg Fleming; Calum Woods, Chris Higgins, Andy Dowie, Austin McCann (c); Graeme Holmes (Nick Phinn 78), Steven Bell, Alex Burke (Gary Mason 73), Willie Gibson (Ross Campbell 50); Steven McDougall, David Graham.
SUBS NOT USED: Greg Ross, Greg Paterson (GK).
SCORER: McDougall (18), Woods (43), Bell (85 pen)
YELLOW CARD: Higgins (61)
RED CARD: Woods (88)

David Hutton, David Lilley (Joe Hammill HT), Bob Harris, Craig Reid, Neil Scally, Paul Burns, Rocco Quinn, Stephen McKenna, Willie McLaren (David Weatherston 61); Stewart Kean (Leon Knight HT), Derek Holmes,.
SUBS NOT USED: Marvin Andrews, Scott Fox (GK).
YELLOW CARD: Harris (46), Reid (62), McKenna (85)
RED CARD: McKenna (90+1)
SCORER: Weatherston (69)


NEXT MATCH: (home) First Division v Raith Rovers
Tuesday 16th March 2010, kick off 7.45pm

Sammy says thanks very much for visiting our web site where we have lots of news for young Pars fans.