Pre Season Friendly v Hibs

DUNFERMLINE 0 HIBS 4 Date: 18/07/09

Pre Season Friendly

Attendance: 4151, Kick off 3.00pm

Referee: Steven Nicholls

John Hughes brought his new club across the Forth to provide the fourth opponents for Dunfermline in their build up to the new season. Patrick Gregg and Kevin McBride had followed him and Brian Rice to Easter Road and they started¬ with close season signing, Daniel Galbraith on the bench beside Sol Bamba.

Dunfermline were without the services of Graham Bayne and Andy Dowie (knee) but Andy Kirk, Alex Burke, Willie Gibson, Greg Ross and Calum Woods started with Tuesday night`s starts Steven McDougall, Graeme Holmes, Joe Cardle and Scott Muirhead on the bench.

Latecomers caused difficulties at the turnstiles meaning the match kick off was delayed by 15 minutes until Burke and Kirk got the match underway with the Pars attacking the goal in front of a near capacity East Stand.

Paul Hanlon sneaked in on the left side of the Pars box to fire a shot at Fleming within the first minute. Colin Nish was put through on Fleming courtesy of a Riordan pass but Fleming forced the former Pars man wide right and then Woods was the hero with a brave clearance off the line.

Willie Gibson sent over Dunfermline`s first corner from the left, an inswinger that Nick Phinn¬ headed on target but¬ it was¬ palmed around his post by big Ma Kalambay.¬ The red shirted keeper held Stephen Glass`s corner in from the right and it wasn`t long before play was back at the other end. Hibs took the lead when Hanlon was¬ forward on the left again to receive a John Rankin pass and thread¬ the ball diagonally to NISH who slotted in at the right post.

In 13th minute David Graham worked hard to retain possession and his pass cannoned off the referee to send Cregg through on goal but he shot early and pulled his shot woefully wide left.

Dunfermline did rally and Ma Kalambay was out to intercept a cross ball, then Gibson picked out Kirk 15 yards out but the offside flag went up. Graham tried a shot from 25 yards that was blocked but play did continue in the Edinburgh side`s half.¬ With virtually nine men back Dunfermline found Hibs defence a formidable wall.

Pars keeper Greg Fleming was next called upon in 23 minutes when Merouane Zemmama flighted over a ball from the right that required the keeper to palm it away from the inrushing Nish.

Three minutes later Graham continued to concern the Hibs defence running at them and then finding Kirk 8 yards out.¬ He had his back to goal and his overhead kick was blocked out only to fall for Gibson. His lay off to Glass was met with a good connection but earned only a corner.¬ Gibson took this one from the right but Ross`s header did not trouble the keeper.

In 33 minutes NISH was put through again this time by Van Zanten¬ and he chipped the ball in leaving Fleming little chance, 2-0.¬ Next minute Zemmama was fouled by Higgins.¬ The 25 year old Morrocan took the free kick¬ and hit the net but it was the outside of the roof on the way over.

Nish might have made it three in 38 minutes after Woods failed to clear a ball punted through the middle but Fleming was a match for the shot from the edge of the box.¬ Dunfermline went in two behind, Hibs had allowed them a fair amount of possession but kept them well clear of goal. In contrast Hibs had taken their chances.

Half Time: Dunfermline 0 Hibs 2

Scott Muirhead came on for Chris Higgins for the restart and Hibs introduced Sol Bamba, Ryan Stevenson, Kevin McCann and Jonatan Johansson.¬ The Finnish striker was the first to threaten the scoreline when in 54 minutes he was on the end of a Riordan cross and Fleming did well to forced the header over his crossbar.

Riordan sent over the corner from the left and there was a scramble in the Pars six yard box as Johansson had his effort blocked, Bamba took a swing and then Murray sent the ball wide at the left post.¬ Hibs were soon back attacking the Pars goal and Cregg laced a good ball into the right side of the penalty box that Zemmama centred for RIORDAN to turn in from six yards.

The two close season signings from Airdrie United, Steven McDougall and Joe Cardle came on for David Graham and Stephen Glass while Hibs threw on another five subs. McDougall cut back for Gibson in 66 minutes and his lay off for Graeme Holmes looked promising but his effort was blocked.

Four minutes later Andy Kirk headed against the left post after Cardle had found Gibson on the right and the former Kilmarnock man picked out his striker. The Pars kept up the hopes of their fans when Paul Willis, a 71st minute sub for Gibson, found McDougall 20 yards out and his shot across goal was tipped away for a corner by the big Belgian keeper.

With ten minutes remaining Patrick Cregg drilled a powerful shot on target but Fleming held well and then the former Bairn led a break out of his own half that had Hibs 4 on 2 but Johansson`s return to him was half hearted and the defence survived.¬ Willis had an opportunity to fire a low shot from 25 yards but the freshly substituted keeper, Thomas Flynn went down on his knees to hold.

There was 90 minutes on the clock when Cregg teased the Pars central defence on the edge of the box before slipping the ball left for JOHANSSON to sweep the ball over Fleming into the far side of the net.

The sponsors Man of the Match was Greg Fleming.

DUNFERMLINE: Greg Fleming; Greg Ross, Calum Woods, Chris Higgins (Scott Muirhead HT), Austin McCann; Willie Gibson (Paul Willis 71), Nick Phinn, Stephen Glass (Steven McDougall 61), Alex Burke (Graeme Holmes 66); Andy Kirk, David Graham (Joe Cardle 61).
SUBS: Greg Paterson

HIBERNIAN: Yves Ma Kalambay (Thomas Flynn 83); David van Zanten (Kevin McCann HT), Paul Hanlon (Ryan Stevenson HT), Patrick Cregg, Chris Hogg (Darren McCormack 64), Ian Murray (Steven Thicut 64), Merouane Zemmama (Daniel Galbraith 61), Kevin McBride (Sol Bamba HT), John Rankin (Keevan¬ 66); Colin Nish (Jonatan Johansson HT), Derek Riordan (David Wotherspoon)
SCORER: Nish (7, 33), Riordan (55), Johansson (91)

WEATHER: Overcast 17C

NEXT MATCH: (away) Pre Season Friendly v East Fife
Tuesday 21st July 2009, kick off 7.30pm

Sammy says thanks very much for visiting our web site where we have lots of news for young Pars fans.