SFL v Clyde

CLYDE 0 DUNFERMLINE 2 Date: 04/10/08
Fixture: Irn Bru SFL Division One
Attendance: , Kick Off: 3.00pm.
Referee: Crawford Allan

Jim McIntyre wanted to go with the same starting eleven that he put out at Cappielow but Greg Shields injured his calf in the warm up. Calum Woods came in and Iain Williamson went on the bench.

Clyde made three changes to their team for the visit of Dunfermline. Former Pars youth Pat Clarke returned, Mark Brown took the place of injured Billy Gibson and David Hutton was preferred to Peter Cherrie in goal. Heavy pre match rain� had saturated the playing surface as� the hosts kicked off attacking the goal at construction site end. It was the Pars who created the early pressure; both Woods and McCann got in early crosses that presented Bayne and Kirk with half chances.

In seventh minute Clyde came close to opening the scoring. Scott Gemmill played the ball right for David McKay to whizz the ball through the Pars six yard box and if Clarke had got any kind of touch on it the ball would have gone inside instead of outside the left post. Three minutes later Clarke did meet an Alan Lowing cross but his header went high over the bar.

Kevin Harper was tumbled by Michael Ohnesorge as he swiftly made ground up the right and when the free kick was sent in by Stephen Glass it landed for Scott Wilson but he was not allowed to turn and shoot. Next Scott Thomson required treatment after a crude Clarke tackle that earned him a yellow card.

The injury to Nipper forced his substitution six minutes later, Steven Bell entered the fray as the Pars third right back of the afternoon. McCann crossed yet another useful ball and Burke was unlucky to see his shot deflected for a corner.

On the half hour another Glass corner in from the right side was headed powerfully towards the six yard box by Bell, Woods controlled the ball looking for the chance but the whistle sounded for an illegal use of the hand. A Glass rocket from 30 yards bounced back off Kettlewell on the 18 yard line but Dunfermline were to make the breakthrough in 37th minute.

A fantastic ball through from Kevin Harper set up Andy KIRK on the right corner of the penalty box and the striker smashed it home, on the angle, from 15 yards. Kirk was denied a penalty when he was prevented by Neil McGregor of taking advantage of a Bayne flick on but then when Clyde failed to clear properly Dunfermline went two up.

The ball came out of the Clyde box and sat invitingly for Kevin HARPER to strike home from 25 yards out. Dunfermline consequently were comfortably ahead at the interval.

Half Time: Clyde 0 Dunfermline 2

Clyde made a double substitution for the second 45, Gary McSwegan and Chris Higgins came on as Clyde shaped up with three at the back. Glass hit an early free kick into the defensive wall but Paul Gallacher had to be alert hold a quickly taken Emslie free kick and then a useful shot from wide right by David McKay.

Graham Bayne tested keeper Hutton with a powerful header from eight yards on a Kirk cross and then Harper had two chipped efforts that were both held by the red shirted Clyde keeper.

On 72 minutes Paul Gallacher touched a Kettlewell shot around his post after McSwegan had used all his 38 years of experience to flick the ball into the midfielders path.� Even with the two goal lead it wasn`t to be what might be called comfortable for Jim McIntyre and� Gerry McCabe for the last quarter of an hour.

Steven Bell was off the park following treatment and really should have been waved back on before McKay broke down the right to centre a fine ball. Fortunately Woods was able to head that behind before it dropped for McSwegan.

McCann had another two good deliveries from the left as the game went into its last ten minutes. The first was nodded down by Bayne for Kirk but he just failed to bury it and the next was headed wide by Kirk.� Bell headed another danger filled cross behind for a corner but after that it was obvious that the three points were heading back along the M876 and to Fife.

Queen of the South`s resounding 6-1 win over league leaders, Livingston coupled with Partick`s draw means that Dunfermline are up into third position� and after one match against each of the team`s in the First Division, they now sit just three points off the top.

CLYDE: David Hutton; Alan Lowing (Ruari MacLennan 65), Mark Brown, Neil McGregor, Michael Ohnesorge (Chris Higgins HT), Dave McKay, Paul Emslie, Stuart Kettlewell, Ricky Waddell (Gary McSwegan HT)� , Scott Gemmill
SUBS NOT USED: David McGowan, Peter Cherrie (GK)
YELLOW CARD: Clarke (18), Waddell (35), Emslie (46), McSwegan (77)

DUNFERMLINE: Paul Gallacher; Calum Woods, Scott Thomson (Steven Bell 23), Scott Wilson (c), Austin McCann; Kevin Harper, Nick Phinn, Stephen Glass, Alex Burke (Simon Wiles 75); Andy Kirk (Ross Campbell 85), Graham Bayne.
SUBS NOT USED: Iain Williamson, Callum Reidford
SCORER: Kirk (37), Harper (43)
YELLOW CARD: McCann (40), Harper (67)

REFEREE: Crawford Allan.
WEATHER: Rain, wind 11C

NEXT MATCH: Irn Bru First Division (home) v Partick Thistle,
Saturday 18th October 2008, kick off 3.00pm

Sammy says thanks very much for visiting our web site where we have lots of news for young Pars fans.