Fife Cup v Burntisland Shipyard


Fife Cup Semi Final: Despite the opposition this was hardly a riveting match. One sided in the extreme and no better than a training session for Dunfermline against a team of professional amateurs.

Jimmy Calderwood as promised gave a match to all his first team pool who did not feature last Saturday. The "crowd" were housed in the Norrie McCathie Stand as the electrical problem in the Main Stand was not being risked.

Within four minutes Dunfermline took the lead as Steve Hampshire took the ball to the byeline, cut back for May who stepped over it and left it for Rob MATTHAEI to thump in. Burntisland responded with Duffy forcing a save out of Thomson. The ball was in the net from the resultant corner but the offside flag was up.

There were nine minutes gone when a Lee Bullen cross from the right wing was dropped by goalkeeper Carruthers and HAMPSHIRE tapped the ball home. Gareth Wardlaw`s acrobatics almost produced a goal and yet again Thomson had to concede a corner. Inswinging corners were proving awkward for the Dunfermline keeper and from the seventh Burntisland corner David Costello bungled the ball over the line after 19 minutes.

It was a break out of defence that brought Dunfermline goal no.4 when Steve Hampshire broke forward and placed a good pass at the feet of Owen COYLE who shot from the left side of the penalty area into the far side of the net. Four minutes later Keir NICOL drove forward, played the ball off Owen Coyle and netted with precision.

Only another four minutes past before Eddie MAY despatched a Lee Bullen cut back in for goal 5. Nine minutes before the break, Owen Coyle was pushed over in the box and a penalty was awarded. COYLE took the penalty himself and tucked the ball away in the bottom right hand corner. Lee BULLEN rattled in another off the far post to make the half time score 7-1. The Pars played the second half towards the McCathie Stand. 53 minutes on the clock and Mark McGarty`s shot was parried by the keeper for COYLE to tap in. David Graham chipped in the next and McGarty again had a role in the tenth when Owen COYLE jumped to foot in the young player`s cross from the right.

The Shipyard rallied but couldn`t force a strike on target. Gareth Wardlaw, clearly their Man of the Match brought a diving save from Scott Thomson and then had another effort wide right. Kevin McLeish was unfortunate not to get on the scoresheet when his 89th minute shot was well saved.

DUNFERMLINE: Thomson; McGarty, Martin, Taylor, Nicol; Graham, Matthaei, May (McLeish HT), Hampshire (Boyle 67); Bullen (Huggon HT), Coyle. Scorers: Matthaei (4), Hampshire (9), Coyle (22, 36, 53, 79), Nicol (26), May (30), Bullen (45), Graham (67)

Strip: Home Black & White, black shorts and socks.

BURNTISLAND: Carruthers; Lowe, McDuff, Lawrie (J Taylor HT), Hunter; Grubb (S Taylor 58), Costello, Reid, Barclay; Wardlaw, Duffy (Drummond 58) Scorer: Costello (19)

Referee: Joe Heggie (Oakley)

Attendance: 150

Weather: Rain, cold

Sammy says thanks very much for visiting our web site where we have lots of news for young Pars fans.