Scottish Cup v East Fife

DUNFERMLINE 3 EAST FIFE 1 Date: 18/01/05

Fixture: Tennent`s Scottish Cup Attendance: 3543

Kick Off: 19:45 Referee: Brian Cassidy

Weather: Cold, Dry 3C

For this replay Dunfermline were without yet another member of their first team squad. Having just arrived now Lee Makel has been smitten with the Pars injury syndrome. The recent signing from Plymouth was injured at Ibrox on Saturday so in comes Noel Hunt in his place.

East Fife fielded the same starting eleven as held the Pars at New Bayview a week past Saturday.

The kick off was delayed to allow all the 3543 fans into East End Park and it was just as well since the latecomers were only just in their seats when Dunfermline took the lead. The Third Division visitors kicked off attacking the half full Norrie McCathie Stand but the Pars were awarded an early free kick that found its way from Scott Thomson to Gary Dempsey on the right. The Irishman played an angled ball into the East Fife box that Noel Hunt flicked on for Andy TOD to head upwards and on below the crossbar to register a 36 second opener.

Toddy`s defensive qualities were then required to cut out Fairbairn`s pass to Steven Nicholas at the near post. Derek Stillie easily held the resultant corner. There were eight minutes on the clock when Dempsey`s pass through Jesper Christiansen to Hunt let the Irish striker whack in a useful shot that Morrison parried. Christiansen collected and his return was crashed at the keeper but next time Darren Young skied the shot into the empty East Stand.

After Greg Ross`s long range shot was deflected out on the left the corner picked out Young and his square ball was rocketed on to the crossbar from 25 yards by Barry Nicholson. The effort wouldn`t have counted anyway as the Main Stand Assistant had his yellow and orange flag aloft for Hunt`s positioning.

East Fife kept Stillie in action with a diving save forward to cut out Fairbairn`s sharp pass in from the left side that a posse of gold shirts attacked deep inside the Pars penalty area. Jim Moffat`s team then maintained the momentum gaining a fair degree of possession but failed to penetrate the Athletic defence. Brian Fairbairn tried a shot from distance but the ball skimmed passed Stillie`s right hand post.

Dunfermline were pinned back for at least 15 minutes and were glad to hear the sound of Referee Brian Cassidy`s whistle when in the 31st minute Kris Brash`s strong ball into the Pars box bobbled out of Stillie`s hands. Ex Par Craig Lumsden`s challenge was penalised and the home side breathed again. The Cup tie gitters were beginning to emerge but three minutes later Gary Mason altered the direction of play taking a Christiansen pass and sending Hunt through for a shot that Morrison saved. Then Nicholson sent over a good one in from the right that Hunt leapt high up to head down on target but again it was Morrison to the rescue.

Gary Mason should have increased the lead in the 39th minute when Nicholson`s cross from the right was headed back from Hunt to the midfielder but he failed to get enough purchase on his header to beat the all green figure of Morrison. The side that sit Third bottom of the Scottish Football League were far from out of things however and Dunfermline really needed a second the settle things. Just on half time Jesper Christiansen tried to despatch a Dempsey ball into the net but Scott Morrison plucked it out of the evening air to keep it 1-0 at the break.

Jim Moffat had his side revved up for the restart and the East Fifers tested Stillie when Paliczka burst through brushing off Dempsey to fire in a good shot that was parried left. Skerla beat Johnny Mitchell to the loose ball and the visitors had a corner on the right. The Pars came storming back though with two good chances from Darren Young before Christiansen sent the ball out right for Nicholson to set up goal number two.

The ball was whipped in from the right corner flag and Noel HUNT jumped to turn a right footed shot in at the far post with 58 minutes gone. Dunfermline at last looked in command and Dempsey somehow managed to fail to add to the total when Nicholson`s cross found him and then Young`s follow up was blocked.

In the 64th minute Greg Ross looked to have overhit his ball in from the right but Hunt climbed high on the far side of the six yard box to divert the ball to Dempsey. The underside of the bar kept the ball in play and Mason hit a screamer over the top. Gary sent a 66th minute free kick round the five man East Fife wall but also around the left goalpost.

His luck changed however three minutes later. Christiansen`s lay off on the left side of the box was ideal fodder for the Irishman and DEMPSEY drove in from 15 yards to put an end to his unenviable record for shots without scoring.

There was now no way back for the Bayview boys and the SKY contract for the next round looked in the bag with 20 minutes still to play. Nicholson came close with a piledriver of a shot that narrowly escaped over the bar and Christiansen came even closer when he hit the right junction of the bar and post. That was the Dane`s last involvement as he was withdrawn to make way for John Dunn`s first team debut. Ian Campbell came on for Darren Young to give dad Dick Campbell the pleasure of watching his boy in top team competitive action for the first time.

Dunn came close to converting a fine ball across the face of goal with five minutes to go but it was the visitors who added to the tally with a late consolation when substitute Les BYLE glanced in a Kevin Steele cross.

All the efforts to clear the four inches of snow off the East End playing surface were well worth it even though the support were frozen to their seats by the end. Now bring on the Celts for a re-run of last year`s Cup Final on Sunday 6th February at East End Park.

Dunfermline Squad: Stillie, Ross, Skerla, Tod, Thomson; Darren Young (Campbell 79), Nicholson, Mason, Dempsey; Hunt, Christiansen (Dunn 82)

Dunfermline Subs: Langfield, C Wilson, Scullion

Dunfermline Strip: Home White and Black, Red Socks

Dunfermline Goal Scorers: Tod (36 sec.), Hunt (58), Dempsey 69)

Dunfermline Yellow Cards: none

East Fife Squad: Morrison; Renwick, Lumsden, Bain, Brash; Paliczka (Tarditi 79), McDonald, Kelly (Byle 81), Fairbairn; Nicholas, Mitchell (Steele 72)

East Fife Subs: Mathie, McCafferty (GK)

East Fife Goal Scorers: Byle (91)

East Fife Yellow Cards: none